Singaporeans heaved a collective groan as the Prime Minister announced a 4-week extension to the circuit breaker. The PM’s speech was followed up with an announcement from Ministry of Trade and Industry (MTI) that all standalone food and beverage outlets, as well as hairdressing and barber shops, will have to close.
Long lines of people were spotted at bubble tea shops across Singapore as many try to get their last fix of bubble tea before stores are shuttered.
For Singaporeans who can’t bear 6 weeks of no bubble tea, the good news is that you can make bubble tea at home easily!
Ingredients you’ll need
- Any form of tea – Black, Jasmine, Green, Oolong.
- Tapioca pearls. Tapioca pearls usually cook in about 5 minutes. Slower cooking tapioca pearls can take up to an hour to cook. Tapioca pearls are sold in supermarkets and select convenience stores or online portals like Shopee. Alternatively, you can use sago pearls.
- Whole milk.
- Sweetener. You may use granulated sugar, honey, or syrup.
Quantity for 4 cups
- 8 bags of black tea or 3 tablespoons loose-leaf black tea
- 4 cups hot water
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking tapioca pearls
- whole milk to serve (or your choice of milk)
- simple syrup to serve (or your choice of sweetener)
For the Simple Syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Prepare the tea: Steep the tea bags with 4 cups of boiled water. Let the tea sit in water until it cools completely. You can remove the tea bags or leaves after 5 minutes if you are concerned about its bitterness.
- Prepare the syrup: Add the water and sugar to a saucepan and quickly stir everything together. Heat the water on medium-high and cook until the water boils and the sugar completely dissolves. Remove the saucepan from heat and let the simple syrup cool before transferring to a jar. If you are using honey, no heating is required
- Boil the tapioca pearls: Boil 4 cups of water and add the tapioca pearls. Stir the pearls and wait for them to float to the top. Then, cook them for another 5 minutes. Test a pearl to see if it has reached the desired level of softness. Quickly rinse the pearls with water.
- Prepare the drinks: Divide the cooked tapioca pearls into 4 large glasses. Next, add a few ice cubes to each glass. Pour 1 cup of the tea into each glass. Add 1.5 tablespoons of milk and 1.5 tablespoons of simple syrup into each glass. Stir and taste the milk tea. Add more milk or simple syrup to your taste.